Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash is a delicious and easy side dish that can be made in under 30 minutes. This recipe is low carb, vegan, gluten free and dairy free. Air frying vegetables is a great way to cook them that doesn’t take a lot of effort or time. This healthy side dish is sure to become a go to recipe.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash
This simple and delicious air fryer recipe calls for simple ingredients making it super easy to make for a weeknight meal since it doesn’t require any special ingredients. Also, you could make this recipe with just zucchini or squash if you don’t enjoy both. For this recipe you will need:
- fresh zucchini- for best results do not use frozen vegetables
- fresh yellow squash- for best results do not use frozen vegetables
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- olive oil
If you grow fresh zucchini and squash in your own garden this delicious air fryer recipe is a healthy way to use it up! See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for ingredient amounts and the full recipe instructions.
How to Make Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash
To start, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. While the air fryer is preheating, wash the zucchini and squash. Slice them into quarters. If desired, remove some of the seeds. I like to do this so that there is a little less water content in the air fryer which keeps the vegetables from steaming. Then, slice into bite-sized pieces.
Place the bite-sized pieces into a large bowl. Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Toss to combine.
Take out the air fryer basket after ten minutes and stir the vegetables. Return to the air fryer for 10-15 more minutes depending on how done you like them. Cooking time will also vary based on the size of the vegetable pieces.
Serve the vegetables immediately after cooking with your favorite main dish recipes. Store leftover squash and zucchini in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
More Favorite Recipes for the Air Fryer
- Easy Air Fryer Crispy Parmesan Eggplant Fries
- Easy Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries with Honey and Parmesan Cheese
- Air Fryer Cube Steak
- Air Fryer Boneless Pork Chops (No Breading)
- Small Batch 20 Minute Air Fryer Snack Mix
- 63 Vegan Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
Frequently Asked Questions
To get zucchini and squash more crispy in the air fryer you can cook it for more time. Another option is to cook it in a single layer in the air fryer and cook it in batches. Cooking it that way isn’t as efficient but it will give you crispier vegetables in a shorter amount of time.
Zucchini and squash can be purchased all year long but they are in season in the summer months but especially late summer. June through August is when these vegetables are at their prime. You are more likely to find them on sale at this time of year.
Yes! Prep the vegetables as the recipe describes and bake them in an oven at 400 degrees. Be sure to spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet to keep them from steaming. Flip them over after about 10-15 minutes and bake until your desired doneness.
Other seasoning options include lemon pepper seasoning, seasoned salt, italian seasoning blend, and more! You can also try adding red pepper flakes for a little spice or marinara sauce for dipping. Air frying vegetables is the perfect way to get vegetables on the dinner table quickly.
Yes! Try this recipe with summer squashes, crookneck squash, butternut squash, honeynut squash, acorn squash and more!
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
Looking for more delicious side dish recipes to love? Check out our Warm Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad, Easy Oven Baked Zucchini Chips, Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob, Gluten Free Dairy Free Corn Casserole, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Parmesan and Homemade Cilantro Lime Rice.
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large yellow squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- While the air fryer is preheating, wash the zucchini and squash. Slice them into quarters. If desired, remove some of the seeds. I like to do this so that there is a little less water content in the air fryer which keeps the vegetables from steaming.
- Slice the zucchini and squash into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the bite-sized pieces into a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Toss to combine.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes. You do not need to spray the basket of the air fryer because the oil on the vegetables will keep them from sticking.
- Take out the air fryer basket after ten minutes and stir the vegetables. Return to the air fryer for 10-15 more minutes depending on how done you like them.
- Serve the vegetables immediately after cooking with your favorite main dish recipes. Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g