These Sweet Breakfast Banana Scones are simple to make and great for breakfast, brunch or a snack with a cup of coffee or tea! Plus, the kids approve. This recipe is light on the added sugar because of the sweetness from the ripe bananas and can be made with either all-purpose or whole wheat flour!
How to make Banana Scones
This recipe is done start to finish in under an hour! Before starting this recipe decide if you plan to use all-purpose, whole wheat or a combination of flours. This recipe has not been tested with almond or coconut flour however if you try please comment below with your results! Check out this video for a quick visual on how to make this recipe:
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you keep a stock of frozen bananas in your freezer too? If you are looking for more ways to use them up aside from these Banana Scones here are a few suggestions: Banana Bread, Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread, Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal, PB&J Smoothie, and Peanut Butter Banana Acai Bowl.
Also, if you are just a fan of all things breakfast, like us, visit our breakfast category and check out our Delicious Homemade Dark Chocolate Coconut Granola, Bacon and Cheese Quiche, Lemon Poppy Seed Bread, Peanut Butter Honey Muffins, Sour Cream Coffee Cake, Dark Chocolate Walnut Biscotti, Very Berry Spinach Applesauce, Breakfast Quinoa Egg Casserole and French Toast Casserole.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
- 3 cups all-purpose OR whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp butter, cold
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar, for topping
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl and stir well.
- In a small bowl combine vanilla extract, egg whites and mashed bananas.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add in banana mixture and stir just until combined. The mixture will be sticky.
- Lightly flour the counter and turn bowl of dough onto counter or if your bowl is large enough knead right inside the bowl.
- Knead 4-6 times to get dough to come together some more.
- Shape into a 9 inch circle and move onto lightly greased baking sheet.
- Top dough with brown sugar and lightly press it into the surface.
- Using a knife mark the dough into 12 pieces. Cut into the dough but NOT all the way to the bottom.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-28 minutes until lightly golden on the outside. (Longer time for all-purpose flour.)
- Let cool, slice and enjoy!
Store scones in an airtight container to keep them fresh.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 182Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 8mgSodium 240mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 4gSugar 11gProtein 5g
This post was originally published on January 9, 2019 and updated on May 18, 2019.