This Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is a classic filled with lots of chicken, vegetables and egg noodles. Plus, it’s even better the next day! Serve with warm bread or a salad for a filling and comforting meal.
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup From Scratch
This recipe is super simple to make and will leave you with the most comforting homemade soup. One of the best parts of this recipe is that is a great way to use up leftover chicken. Any baked or shredded chicken can be used for this soup. Check out the video to see how quick and easy:
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t have any cooked chicken on hand there are a few options. Grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store to make this soup very quickly. Boil or bake a few chicken breasts to use in this recipe.
Yes! This is especially helpful if you want to make the soup ahead of time to have for lunch during the week. Adding the noodles later will keep them from getting mushy or soaking up too much broth.
Of course! I recommend storing in individual sized containers. Defrost and microwave or heat in a pot on the stove when ready to eat.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
If you enjoyed this Chicken Noodle Soup recipe check out these other soup recipes: Broccoli Cheese Soup, Hamburg Soup, Italian Wedding Soup, Carrot Ginger Soup, Healthy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup, Turkey Lasagna Soup, Chicken Bone Broth and Carrot Rice Soup! If you enjoy biscuits with your soup, this recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits is for you!
Chicken Noodle Soup
Classic Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup loaded with chicken, vegies and egg noodles.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 12 oz uncooked egg noodles
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cut into bite-size pieces
- Chop up the carrots, onion and celery.
- In large pot, over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add onion, celery and carrots to melted butter. Cook until they begin to soften, approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, broth, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Bring broth to a simmer.
- If you have time, let broth simmer for 30 minutes. This will help create a richer broth.
- Bring broth to a boil.
- Add noodles and chicken.
- Cook until noodles are done and chicken is warmed through. Approximately 8-10 minutes depending on your type of egg noodle.
- Remove bay leaves. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is perfect for leftover chicken. If you don't have leftover chicken use a precooked rotisserie chicken to save some time! Perfect served with fresh bread and butter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 1403mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 21g
This recipe was originally posted on December 3, 2018 and updated on January 27th, 2021.