This Kid Approved Citrus Chicken Pasta is a great weeknight meal and can be put together in about 30 minutes. It also makes for delicious leftovers to have for lunch the next day. The tri colored rotini pasta combined with bright citrus flavors, chicken and broccoli makes for a delicious and simple meal.
Ingredients for Citrus Chicken Pasta
This recipe only calls for simple ingredients and a few of them can be substituted without changing the final result depending on what you have on hand. For this recipe you will need:
- olive oil
- chicken- you can use any type. We usually use boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken tenderloins. Chicken thighs would also work for this recipe.
- garlic salt
- pasta- we used tri colored rotini to give this dish more color however any shape and type of pasta will work. Use gluten-free pasta if desired.
- parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
How to Make Kid Approved Citrus Chicken Pasta
To start this dish, cook the chicken with the olive oil, garlic salt and pepper. While the chicken is cooking take the zest off of your oranges and lemon. Once the chicken is cook through add the zest and cook until fragrant- one to two minutes.
In another pot, boil the water for your pasta and cook according to the package directions. Add the broccoli to the pasta after it has been cooking for a few minutes. It will cook along with the pasta. Drain the pasta and broccoli once tender.
Combine the pasta, chicken, and juices together. Toss to combine. Serve with parmesan cheese if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Simply use your favorite gluten-free pasta in place of the tri color rotini pasta.
Try asparagus, peas, green beans or cauliflower instead. The broccoli could be substituted for any other steamed green vegetable too depending on your (or your kids) personal preference!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. These leftovers are perfect for easy lunches during a busy week.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
If you like this pasta recipes try our Easy Homemade Meat Sauce, Spinach Lasagna, Sausage Casserole or Lemon Chicken Orzo. For more delicious recipes try our Easy Homemade Pasta Carbonara, Chili Mac and Cheese, Broccoli Cheese Soup, Quinoa with Brussels Sprouts and Pomegranate, Easy Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl, Bacon and Cheese Loaded Mashed Potatoes, Simple Gluten-Free Chicken Piccata, Healthy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce, Simple Black Beans and Cheddar Cheese Grits with Black Beans.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 12 oz-1 lb pasta, any type
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- Parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium/ large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken, garlic salt and pepper and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add zest from oranges and lemon and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- While chicken is cooking, cook pasta according to package. Add broccoli to the pot with the pasta to cook after 3 minutes.
- When pasta and broccoli are cooked, drain and return to pot.
- Add chicken, orange juice and lemon juice to pasta. Stir to combine.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Add salad and rolls for a perfect family dinner.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 33g