These chewy Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies are loaded with shredded coconut, chocolate chips and pair perfectly with a glass of milk. These cookies are sure to be a family favorite.
Ingredients for Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
To make these cookies you will need to gather the following ingredients:
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract or coconut extract (for even more coconut flavor)
- baking soda
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- sweetened shredded coconut
- chocolate chips- use semi sweet, dark or milk chocolate chips
Wondering why two kinds of coconut? If you use too much of one and not the other the cookies will be too sweet or not sweet enough. Also, both types offer a slightly different texture which makes these cookies perfect.
How to Make Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Next, add salt, vanilla extract and eggs and mix until combined. Then, add the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, unsweetened shredded coconut, sweetened shredded coconut and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
Drop dough onto a baking sheet in tablespoon size balls. I love to use a scoop to make sure my cookies are uniform size. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
Let cookies set on baking sheet for 2 minutes and then move to a cooling rack. Once cookies are completely cool store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
These cookies can be made either way! If you bake until just slightly golden brown they will be chewy. Bake for an extra minute or two to get them crunchy if you prefer.
These cookies are best stored in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 7 days.
Absolutely! Check out our guide: How Long Does Cookie Dough Last in the Fridge? for tips and tricks regarding cookie dough storage!
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
Still want more cookie recipes? We don’t blame you! Here are some of our favorites: Italian Cookies, Cream Cheese Logs, Chocolate Pretzel Bark, Snickerdoodles, Cranberry Noel Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes, Chocolate Crinkles, Reindeer Poop Cookies, Microwave Mint Chocolate Fudge, Peppermint Crescent Cookies, No Bake Peanut Butter Balls, and Ricotta Cookies. If you are looking for holiday cookies, be sure to check out our Christmas Cookie List!
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 2 cups sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add salt, vanilla extract and eggs and mix until combined.
- Then, add flour, baking soda, unsweetened coconut, sweetened coconut and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Drop dough onto a baking sheet in tablespoon size balls. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let cookies set on baking sheet for 2 minutes and then move to a cooling rack.
- Once cookies are completely cool store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Use your favorite kind of chocolate chips- semi-sweet, milk and dark chocolate all work!
Use coconut extract for even more coconut flavor!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 72 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 95Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g