Looking for an easy weeknight dinner idea? This Creamy One Pot Rigatoni with Beef and Diced Tomatoes is sure to become a family favorite! Made in one pot and ready in about 35 minutes this recipe couldn’t be any easier. You may even have all the ingredients on hand to make this recipe for dinner tonight!
Ingredients for One Pot Rigatoni
This creamy, easy to make pasta dish calls for only basic ingredients (may of which you can substitute if you don’t have them on hand). The end result is a creamy pasta loaded with beef, tomatoes, peppers and onions that is loaded with flavor. For this recipe you will need:
- olive oil
- bell peppers- any color will work. We used red and orange but green or yellow are great too!
- sweet onion
- ground beef- we used lean ground beef but any ground beef will work.
- canned diced tomatoes
- rigatoni pasta- if you don’t have rigatoni on hand any pasta shapes will work for this recipe. Gluten-free pasta can also be used for this recipe.
- beef broth- vegetable or chicken broth will also work.
- milk- any kind of milk from full fat to skim milk or low-fat milk can be used; to make this recipe dairy-free use your favorite plant-based milk
- italian seasoning
- black pepper
See the recipe card towards the bottom of this post for the ingredient amounts and full written recipe. There is also a printable recipe card to make it easier in the kitchen! See FAQ’s for more substitutions and recipe tips.
How to Make One Pot Rigatoni
To start, chop the peppers, onion and garlic and set aside. Next, take a big pot and place on the stove. Turn heat to medium and let the pot heat up. Once hot, add the olive oil. Then, add the chopped peppers, onions and garlic. Saute the vegetables for 5-8 minutes or until they start to get tender.
Next, add the ground beef and cook until brown. Break up the ground beef as it cooks into smaller pieces. Once beef is cooked add all remaining ingredients: canned diced tomatoes, uncooked rigatoni pasta, beef broth, milk, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Turn up the heat to medium-high heat and bring the liquid to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and cover the pot.
Stir frequently and cook until all liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente. If liquid is absorbed and pasta is not cooked to your liking add a little more broth a half cup at at time. Serve immediately. Top with parmesan cheese if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Of course, this pasta recipe can be made with ground chicken, ground pork or ground italian sausage. Simply follow the same directions and swap the protein.
Yes, to make this recipe gluten free use a gluten free pasta in place of the rigatoni. Do not worry about using the same shape since gluten free pasta varieties do not come in every shape. To make this recipe dairy free use your preferred plant-based milk in place of the milk in the recipe.
Let leftovers cool completely and then store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Absolutely! Try adding a little bit of red pepper flakes to make a spicy rigatoni dish.
Of course, once the pasta has cooked there are lots of options for this recipe. You could try adding some marinara sauce, bolognese sauce or alfredo sauce, stir in some fresh spinach and let it cook quickly, stir in a little cream cheese to make it even creamier!
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
For more delicious recipes that are perfect comfort food like this recipe try our One Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta, Easy Chicken Taco Pasta, Italian Sausage Orzo, Turkey Sloppy Joes and Lazy Lasagna (made with frozen ravioli).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ?bell peppers (any color), chopped
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (any type you prefer)
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 lb box uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop the peppers, onion and garlic and set aside.
- Take a large pot and place on the stove. Turn heat to medium and let the pot heat up.
- Once hot, add the olive oil.
- Add the chopped peppers, onions and garlic to the heated pot. Saute the vegetables for 5-8 minutes or until they start to get tender.
- Add the ground beef to the pot with the vegetables and cook until brown. Break up the ground beef as it cooks into smaller pieces.
- Once beef is cooked add all remaining ingredients: canned diced tomatoes, uncooked rigatoni pasta, beef broth, milk, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Turn up the heat to medium-high heat and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Stir frequently and cook until all liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente. If liquid is absorbed and pasta is not cooked to your liking add a little more broth a half cup at at time.
- Serve immediately. Top with parmesan cheese if desired.
See FAQ's for ingredient substitutions if necessary.
Let leftovers cool completely then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 753mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 30g