These Dairy Free Macaroons have the perfect chewy texture and are loaded with toasted coconut flavor. Dip them in melted chocolate for an extra bit of sweetness. We’ve included directions for making these gluten free as well.
Ingredients for Dairy Free Macaroons
Only 7 ingredients are needed for this recipe and mixing it together only takes a few minutes. Some recipes for coconut macaroons call for condensed milk but since we are making it dairy free we’ll be using regular sugar as sweetner. For the ingredients you will need:
- unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- flour- all purpose or gluten free all purpose flour
- egg whites
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips (optional)
How to Make Dairy Free Macaroons
To make these cookies start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. The coconut can be sticky so this will help save on clean up time.
Next, in a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Stir or toss to combine.
Then, add the egg whites and vanilla and stir well to coat all of the coconut.
Next, use a cookie scoop or a small ice cream scoop to scoop the cookies. Place on a baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart. These will not spread so you should be able to fit all of the cookies on one tray.
If you don’t have a scoop just do your best to make them about similar size so they bake evenly. If necessary, use your fingers to shape the cookies into balls. Don’t worry about these looking perfect.
Next, bake at 325 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet until completely cool.
If desired melt chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double boiler and dip the bottoms of the cookies in the chocolate or drizzle it over the tops of the cookies.
Melted chocolate chips too thick for dipping? Use 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil to thin it and make it easier for dipping and drizzling. Place dipped cookies on a new sheet of parchment paper and let set.
Once cookies are done place in an airtight container for storage. Cookies are best eaten within a week.
Frequently Asked Questions
A macaroon is cookie made with coconut flakes. A macaron is a sandwich cookie that is made from almond flour and typically has a buttercream or jam filing.
Store macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Yes, use this recipe and substitute the all-purpose flour for a gluten free all purpose flour blend that has xanthan gum included. We like Pillsbury and King Arthur brands.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
For more dairy free recipes check out our Gluten Free Dairy Free Corn Casserole, Dairy-Free Queso with Ground Chicken, Gluten Free Dairy Free White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Bars, Dairy Free Chocolate Fondue and Almond Flour Blackberry Muffins.
- 7 oz unsweetened coconut flakes (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to make clean up easier.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add egg whites and vanilla extract and stir until completely combined.
- Use a scoop or spoon to shape cookies. There should be about 2 dozen cookies.
- Bake at 325 for 18-22 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Let cool completely.
- If desired melt chocolate chips and dip the bottoms of the macaroons and place on a new sheet of parchment paper. Chocolate can also be drizzled on top of cookies. If chocolate is too thick add 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil to thin chocolate.
- Once chocolate is set, store cookies in an airtight container and eat within 1 week.
Dairy Free Macaroons should be stored in an airtight container to maintain freshness.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g