Return to the Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates Program. This post may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a profit if a purchase is made at no additional cost to you.
This Easy Homemade Chocolate Hummus is perfect served with fresh fruit, berries or pretzels… or anything else you like to have with chocolate hummus. My kids love chocolate hummus and we were going through the store bought variety very quickly so I thought I would give making it at home a try!
How to make Easy Homemade Chocolate Hummus
This recipe is very simple to make and doesn’t require too many ingredients. You will need:
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate chips, optional
More important than your ingredients is a high powered food processor. The better the food processor or blender the smoother you can get your hummus.
One tip for getting a smoother hummus is to remove the skins from the chickpeas. I personally do not remove them because I don’t mind but the extra few minutes will make a difference.
Once your hummus is made chill it in the refrigerator before serving. Chocolate Hummus is definitely best when cold.
Chocolate hummus can be used in so many ways. One of the easiest is as a dip. Here are some suggestions of what to dip in your hummus:
- Fruit- bananas, apples, oranges, cherries
- Berries- strawberries, raspberries, blackberries
- Dried fruit- apricots, banana chips, etc.
- Graham Crackers
- Pound Cake
Looking for more dessert recipes? Here are some suggestions: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Hummus, Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, Peanut Butter Reese’s Pieces Cookies, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chickpea Blondies, Nutella Chickpea Brownies, Apple Crisp, Chocolate Pecan Pie, Coconut Chocolate Chip Bars, Cream Cheese Logs, Chocolate Pretzel Bark, Reindeer Poop Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes and Snickerdoodles.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
Easy Homemade Chocolate Hummus
This Easy Homemade Chocolate Hummus is perfect with fresh berries and fruit or serve it with pretzels for the perfect sweet and salty combination!
- 15 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Skins do not need to removed however if you prefer a smoother hummus removing the skins will make a big difference.
- Add chickpeas, cocoa powder, and sugar to food processor.
- Blend for 30 seconds and then scrape the sides. Blend again for 30 seconds.
- Add water a little at a time until your desired consistency is achieved. Depending on how much water was on your chickpeas you may not need the full 1/3 cup.
- Remove from food processor and chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite dippers. I recommend fruit, berries and pretzels.
To make your hummus more smooth remove the skins from the chickpeas before blending.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 7g