This recipe for an Easy Homemade Meat Sauce is perfect for pasta lovers! It is super fast to put together and then just let it simmer for the flavors to meld together. Use this versatile sauce over pasta, in a lasagna, on a sandwich or any other way you desire.
Tips and substitutions for Easy Homemade Meat Sauce
This sauce is easy to make just like the name implies. Also, most of the ingredients are pantry staples. Here are some tips or substitutions that will work for this recipe:
- Chicken, turkey, beef or sausage can all be used in this recipe.
- Don’t like roasted red peppers? Feel free to leave them out.
- Store leftover sauce in an airtight container (we prefer to use mason jars). Refrigerate for up to 7 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Love sauce? Try these recipes:
Does your family love pasta? Be sure to visit our Pasta and Sauce pages! Also, be sure to check out Chili Mac and Cheese, Three Bean Turkey Chili, Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas, Shepherd’s Pie, Butternut Squash Risotto with Bacon, Simple Mediterranean Orzo Salad, Almond Crusted Chicken, Feta Turkey Burgers with Carrot and Sweet Potato Fries, BBQ Chicken Salad, Collection of Store-Bought Foods You can Easily Make at Home and Sweet and Savory Sweet Potato Hash.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 pounds ground chicken
- 25 oz plain tomato sauce (it should only have one ingredient)
- 6 oz roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Heat oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook additional 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add ground chicken and cook through. Break into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add sauce, peppers, and seasonings. Simmer over low heat for at least 20 minutes up to 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store any leftover sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Freeze for up to 2 months.
Beef, turkey or sausage will work well too in place of the chicken!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 213Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 81mgSodium 1055mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 20g