Have a house full of Harry Potter fans or throwing a Harry Potter Wizarding World Party? Harry Potter Cookies are chewy, sweet and loaded with M&M’s, white chocolate chips and butterscotch flavor! Harry Potter fans are sure to love these delicious butterbeer inspired cookies.
Ingredients for Harry Potter Butterbeer Cookies
- Unsalted butter- unsalted butter should always be used in baking unless specified otherwise. Salted butter can have varying amounts of salt which can affect the flavor of your baked goods. Also, be sure to soften the butter by letting it come to room temperature before mixing. This will make it easier to cream with the sugars.
- Light brown sugar- be sure to pack the brown sugar in to measuring cups when baking.
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Butterscotch pudding mix- instant pudding or cook and serve pudding can be used for this recipe. The pudding mix helps give cookies a chewy texture and delicious butterscotch flavor.
- Salt, baking powder, and baking soda
- M&M candies- red, blue, green and yellow only to stick with the Hogwarts house colors!
- White chocolate chips– these give the butterbeer cookie the flavor of the sweet butterbeer topping.
How to Make Harry Potter Cookies
This recipe is easy to make! Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Then, prepare your baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or lightly spraying with non-stick spray.
Then in a mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Next, add the vanilla extract and eggs and mix until combined. Scrape down the bowl to make sure they are completely mixed in.
Add flour, butterscotch pudding mix, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix until just combined, do not over mix. Remove the bowl from the mixer and slowly fold in the white chocolate chips and most of the M&M’s. Save a few M&M’s to add to the cookie dough balls before baking. Roll cookie dough into tablespoon-sized balls. There should be about 4 dozen.
If desired, press a couple M&M’s into each cookie dough ball on the outside. Bake on a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper lined baking sheet for 8-10 minutes. Let cool for 8 minutes then remove from cookie sheet and let cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
Baker’s Tip: When making cookies with chocolate chips, M&M’s, toffee bits etc save a couple to add to the cookies before baking. Press them into the cookie dough on top. This allows the mix-ins to be seen better than those that are already added into the mix!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Even though this dough does not call for refrigerating before baking it can absolutely be refrigerated for up to 3 days. A minute or 2 may need to be added to the baking time if the dough is chilled when going into the oven.
Yes! Freeze cookies in an air tight bag or container for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature when ready to eat. This is a great way to have cookies always ready to eat without having a big batch on the counter.
No, if you want they can be left out or try replacing them with butterscotch chips or toffee chips.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
For more cookie recipes, try our Easy Snickerdoodles Recipe, Italian Cookies, Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Double Chocolate Shortbread Cookies, Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pecan and Oatmeal Cookies, Chewy M&M Cookie Bars, Chocolate Pecan Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies, Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies and Peanut Butter Reese’s Pieces Cookies. For more Harry Potter inspired recipes check out this post with 19 Easy Harry Potter Recipes perfect for a Harry Potter party!
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3.4 oz package butterscotch pudding (instant or cook and serve)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup M&M candies (red, blue, green and yellow only)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and eggs and mix until combined. Scrape down the bowl to make sure they are completely mixed in.
- Add flour, butterscotch pudding mix, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix until just combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and slowly fold in the white chocolate chips and most of the M&M's. Save a few M&M's to add to the cookie dough balls before baking.
- Roll cookie dough into tablespoon-sized balls. There should be about 4 dozen. If desired, press a couple M&M's into each cookie dough ball on the outside.
- Bake on a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper lined cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool for 8 minutes then remove from cookie sheet and let cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
Store cookies in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g