This Delicious Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup recipe is perfect for a cold day! It is loaded with veggies, chicken and orzo plus tons of lemon flavor. Pair with bread or salad for a comforting meal.
This soup is super easy to make and only uses one pot! For this recipe you will need:
- olive oil
- celery stalks
- chicken broth- vegetable broth or chicken stock can also be used
- orzo, uncooked- substitute for gluten free pasta to make gluten free
- cooked chicken breast- use up some leftover cooked chicken or grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store to make this recipe even easier to make
- garlic salt
- dried oregano
How to Make
To start, chop onion, celery, and carrots and set aside. Then, heat a large pot over medium heat. Heat oil over medium heat then add chopped onion, celery, and carrots. Saute vegetables until onion starts to become translucent and celery and carrots start to be tender.
To the pot, add chicken broth and water. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Once liquid is boiling add uncooked orzo, chicken, garlic salt, lemon juice and oregano.
Cook until orzo is done. Stir every couple minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store will make this recipe come together very quick. If you need to cook chicken for this recipe you can use anything from chicken thighs to boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice is sure to give this soup the bright strong lemon flavor it deserves. If you decide to use bottled lemon juice taste it before serving and add more if needed.
Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer! If you freeze it, I would recommend individual serving-sized containers to make defrosting easier.
If you have leftover soup the orzo will expand as it continues to absorb liquid. If you prefer more liquid in your soup, just add a little broth to the bowl when you reheat it.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
Looking for more chicken recipes? Here are some suggestions: Simple Gluten-Free Chicken Piccata, Crock Pot Hawaiian Chicken, Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas, Almond Crusted Chicken, BBQ Chicken Salad, BBQ Chicken Pizza, Homemade Chicken Tenders, Citrus Chicken Pasta, Chicken Pot Pie, Lemon Chicken Orzo, Crock Pot Orange Chicken, Chicken Marbella, or Lemon Grilled Chicken.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup orzo, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp oregano
- Chop onion, celery, and carrots.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and chopped onion, celery, and carrots.
- Saute vegetables until onion starts to become translucent and celery and carrots start to be tender.
- To the pot, add chicken broth and water. Raise heat and bring to a boil.
- Once liquid is boiling add orzo, chicken, garlic salt, lemon juice and oregano. Cook until orzo is done. Stir every couple minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve and enjoy! Add fresh bread or rolls if preferred!
- If you would prefer to cook the chicken in the soup add it when sauteing the vegetables. We used some leftover chicken breast from the night before for this soup.
- Orzo noodles will expand if the soup is leftover. If you prefer a lot of liquid in your soup simply add some more chicken broth when reheating.
- Soup can be frozen in an airtight container. To serve, defrost and reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 1552mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 22g