This Delicious Homemade Dark Chocolate Coconut Granola is sweet, salty and crunchy! Make a batch and enjoy over yogurt, smoothie bowls, with milk or add some to trail mix. This granola would also make a great homemade gift.
Ingredients (substitution suggestions)
All you need are 7 ingredients to make this recipe and you probably have most them in your pantry already:
- Oats- quick oats or regular oats will work for this recipe. Use whichever you have on hand. Quick oats were what we used and they will make it a little flakier than regular oats. If you are making this recipe gluten-free, be sure to make sure you buy certified gluten-free oats!
- Coconut oil- the solid or melted version will work since it will be melted before adding to the other ingredients.
- Honey, maple syrup or agave syrup- any of these or a combination will work. For a vegan version be sure to use maple or agave syrup.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut- there is plenty of sweetness with the honey, maple or agave syrup to skip the added sugar in the sweetened version.
- Dark Chocolate Chips– If you prefer milk or semi sweet chocolate chips those can be used instead. For a vegan version be sure to check for an added dairy.
- Salt and vanilla!
How to make homemade granola
This homemade granola recipe is super simple to make! Check out the video to see and scroll down for the full written recipe.
How to store and use Delicious Homemade Dark Chocolate Coconut Granola
Homemade granola is best stored at room temperature in an air tight container. I prefer to use mason jars but anything with a good seal will keep it fresh. Keep away from moisture so it will retain the crunch.
Granola should stay fresh for at least 10-14 days… if its not gone before then.
Try granola with these recipes:
- Strawberry Smoothie Bowl
- Peanut Butter Banana Acai Bowl
- Tropical Fruit Salad with Strawberry Basil Vinaigrette by Inspired Fresh Life
- Easy Pancakes (that Kids Love!) by Worn Slap Out
- Chocolate Chip Ice Cream In Mason Jar- No Churn Recipe by Cookmorphosis
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
If you enjoy this recipe be sure to try our Strawberry Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins, Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Overnight Oats, Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bites, Cinnamon Toast Crunch Protein Bites, Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites, Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies and Coconut Chocolate Chip Bars.
- 4 cups oats (quick oats or old fashioned oats)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup honey, maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, salt, melted coconut oil, honey (maple syrup or agave syrup) and vanilla. Mix well to coat all oats.
- Spread oats in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in coconut. Return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until evenly toasted.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool without stirring. Once completely cool, stir in dark chocolate chips.
- Store in an airtight container for 10-14 days.
To make this recipe vegan do not use honey. Use maple syrup or agave syrup. For gluten free, be sure to buy oats that are certified gluten free.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: about 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 202mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 5gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g