Who doesn’t love pop tarts?? These Homemade Pop Tarts are even better than the store bought ones! They were always around when I was little but as I grew up I felt like they got sweeter and sweeter. Also, I don’t usually let my kids buy them in the grocery store because I feel like they might as well eat candy if they are going to have those for breakfast.
Today I had some extra pie dough and thought we should give this a try. I think my husband and I liked them more than the kids!
You could make these in any shape or size and just adjust the baking time. We made 2 big pop tarts with the half recipe of Pie Dough but it could easily make 4-6 depending on how thin you roll the dough and what size you make them.
How to make Homemade Pop Tarts
All you need to do is take the pie dough, roll it out to your desired thickness (I prefer about 1/8 inch) and then cut your shapes. I like the half, half, half method of cutting so I always end with an even number!
Put the bottom of the pop tart on parchment paper on your baking sheet and brush the edges with egg wash. Then fill with your desired filling. We used grape jelly!
Then, place your second crust on top and use a fork to pinch the edges together so the filling stays inside. Before putting them in the oven brush the entire pastry with egg wash.
Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. The time will vary based on the size of your pastries. Our large pop tarts took about 35 minutes.
Once the pastries are cool, top them with your icing and sprinkles and enjoy your Homemade Pop Tarts!
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
Looking or more breakfast recipes? Try Banana Bread, Very Berry Blueberry Muffins, Peanut Butter Honey Muffins, S’mores French Toast Casserole, French Toast Casserole, Very Berry Spinach Applesauce, Mango Pear and Spinach Smoothie, S’mores French Toast Casserole, Sour Cream Coffee Cake, Pear Pumpkin Applesauce and Apple Cinnamon Muffins.
- Pie Dough
- 1/4-1/2 cup desired fillings: jelly, jam, nutella, brown sugar, etc.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Roll out pie dough and cut desired shapes.
- Place bottom of pop tart on baking sheet on top of parchment paper.
- Beat egg for egg wash. Brush on edges of pastry.
- Fill pastry with desired filling.
- Top with second pastry layer.
- Using a fork, pinch the edges together to keep filling inside and layers attached.
- Brush top of pastry with egg wash.
- Bake at 350 degrees until light golden brown, 15-35 minutes depending on size.
- Combine powdered sugar with water a little at a time until you have a thin white icing for your pop tart.
- Top cooled pastry with icing and sprinkles.
Make any size pop tarts and adjust baking time!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 2gSugar: 44gProtein: 4g