This Homemade Strawberry Applesauce was a huge hit in our house. If your kids fly through those store-bought applesauce pouches they will love this applesauce! If you prefer homemade versions of popular store-bought items check out Collection of Store-Bought Foods You can Easily Make at Home.
Return to the Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Affiliates Program. This post may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a profit if a purchase is made at no additional cost to you.
How to make Homemade Strawberry Applesauce
Only 4 ingredients are needed to put together this recipe! Apples, strawberries, lemon and cinnamon! Peel and chop the apples. Remove the stems and slice the strawberries. Combine the apples and strawberries in a sauce pan. Then, add the juice from one lemon and cinnamon stick or cinnamon spice. Stir it up and start cooking! Cook over medium/high heat to bring to a simmer then lower heat and let cook until apples are super tender. Here is what it will look like:
Then, using a blender (immersion or standard) blend the applesauce to your desired consistency. Don’t forget to take out the cinnamon stick if you used one! My kids like it super smooth. Let chill and time to store.
There are a couple of options for how to store your applesauce. We generally go through it quickly now so I will store it in glass mason jars in the refrigerator. There it will be good for about a week. Another option is to make your own pouches. Disposable or reusable ones can be purchased on amazon. Those can be frozen for up to 3 months!
Another option if you are making this recipe to be used for baby food is to freeze in ice cube trays and pop into a freezer storage bag and keep in the freezer. This allows you to take out a little at a time.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
If you enjoyed this homemade applesauce recipe be sure to try our others: Pear Pumpkin Applesauce, Crock Pot Blueberry Applesauce and Very Berry Spinach Applesauce. For other kid friendly recipes, check out our Homemade Macaroni and Cheese, Very Berry Blueberry Muffins, Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bites, Italian Pasta Salad, Citrus Chicken Pasta, Banana Bread, Sausage Casserole and Peanut Butter Honey Muffins.
- 4 red apples
- 1 pint strawberries
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- Wash apples, strawberries and lemon.
- Peel, core and chop up apples. Remove tops from strawberries and chop into quarters.
- Combine strawberries and apples in a sauce pot.
- Juice lemon and add to pot. Add cinnamon or cinnamon stick.
- Cover and cook over medium high heat until simmering. Remove lid and stir. Lower heat and continue to cook until apples can be easily mashed. About 20 minutes.
- Once apples are very tender, use an immersion blender, stand up blender or potato masher to get your preferred consistency of applesauce. (Don't forget to remove the cinnamon stick if you used that.)
- Let applesauce cool and store in the refrigerator. Applesauce will stay good in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. Or freeze for up to 3 months.
See post for detailed storage tips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 108Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 26mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 5gSugar 21gProtein 1g