This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is moist, flavorful and super easy to make! It will make a perfect addition to brunch or make it ahead for quick weekday breakfast!
Ingredients and tools for this recipe
The ingredients for this recipe are staple pantry items except for lemon extract. If you do not have that on hand and aren’t planning on going to the store you can substitute for vanilla extract; then, be sure to use the lemon zest for the lemon flavor!
Tools needed for this recipe include:
- Mixer- hand or stand mixer will work!
- Microplane for zesting the lemon. If you don’t have one of these in your kitchen it is a great investment.
- Mixing bowls, if not using a stand mixer.
- Loaf pan
Storage tips for Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
After baking and topping with icing, store in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature. If you want to freeze this bread do so before icing. To keep the bread fresh in the freezer wrap tightly and store for up to 3 months. Then, when ready to serve, defrost overnight and top with icing.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
If you enjoy this recipe be sure to check out our Delicious Homemade Dark Chocolate Coconut Granola, Banana Bread, Bacon and Cheese Quiche, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Dark Chocolate Walnut Biscotti, Sour Cream Coffee Cake, Peanut Butter Honey Muffins, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Scones, Strawberry Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins, Banana Scones, Apple Cinnamon Muffins and Buttermilk Biscuits.
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, lemon zest, lemon extract and poppy seeds. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool and remove from pan.
- Once cooled, mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Pour over loaf. Let set.
- Slice and serve!
Vanilla extract can be substituted for lemon extract if necessary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.