Love meatballs? You’ll adore our mozzarella-stuffed version that’s perfect for weeknight dinners or entertaining guests. These Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs are simple to put together and make for the perfect addition to pasta for a weeknight dinner or dip them in marinara sauce for an appetizer or snack!
Ingredients for Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
This recipe is sure to be hit with the cheese lovers in your home! Bonus: these stuffed meatballs are easier to make than you might think. For this recipe you will need:
- ground turkey
- Italian seasoning
- bread crumbs
- mozzarella cheese sticks
See our Frequently Asked Questions below for information about ingredient substitutions to make this recipe gluten free and more!
How to Make Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
First, combine all of the ingredients except for the mozzarella cheese in a large bowl. Then, divide the turkey mixture into meatballs (approximately 15-20).
Next, cut up the mozzarella cheese sticks into chunks to stuff the meatballs. Be sure to cut the cheese sticks into the same number of chunks as meatballs you have ready. I cut them each into about 6 pieces.
Then, flatten the meatball mixture in your hand, place on a piece of cheese and roll the meat around the cheese. Place the stuffed meatballs on a baking sheet.
Finally, bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on the outside. Some cheese may ooze out from the inside! Serve baked meatballs as desired. See below for some easy serving suggestions.
Serving Suggestions for Stuffed Meatballs
These meatballs can make for a quick and easy dinner. Try these serving suggestions for a complete meal:
- Pair with pasta, marinara sauce and garlic bread for a classic pasta dinner with a cheesy twist.
- Toast sub rolls and top with marinara sauce, meatballs and extra fresh mozzarella for a cheesy meatball sub
- Make a batch of Easy Air Fryer Crispy Parmesan Eggplant Fries and serve with the meatballs and a variety of dipping sauces for a fun dinner
- Cook a bag of frozen ravioli and add olive oil, black pepper and meatballs
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Use ground beef, ground chicken or ground pork to make these meatballs. Substitute the meat and follow the recipe as written.
Use your favorite gluten free bread crumbs and be sure that all of your other ingredients are gluten free and make as instructed.
While I have not tested this, I don’t see why not! I would recommend trying a small batch first to get the temperature and time right before air frying the rest of the meatballs. Try 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Then, come back and let me know how it works!
Of course! Fresh mozzarella will absolutely work for this recipe! We used mozzarella cheese sticks aka string cheese because we always have it on hand with kids in the house.
If you like this mozzarella stuffed meatballs recipe, or just enjoy meatballs be sure to check out our Turkey Zucchini Meatballs and Big Batch Chicken Meatballs. Looking for more meal recipes, see our Butternut Squash Risotto with Bacon, Chicken Marbella, Homemade Macaroni and Cheese, Shepherd’s Pie, Garlic Broccoli Lo Mein, Feta Turkey Burgers with Carrot and Sweet Potato Fries, Turkey Sloppy Joes and Roasted Vegetable Quesadillas.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 3 mozzarella cheese sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients except for cheese sticks in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Divide meatball mixture into 15-20 meatball portions.
- Cut cheese sticks into chunks (the same number as meatballs you have).
- Flatten meatball mixture in hand and press cheese into middle. Wrap meat around cheese and roll into a ball.
- Place meatballs on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with pasta or sauce for dipping and enjoy!
Divide meat into balls before cutting cheese sticks so you know how many pieces of cheese you will need.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 894mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 36g