These Nutella Chickpea Brownies may possibly be the most gooey and delicious brownies I have had in a long time! This sweet and healthy brownie alternative made with chickpeas (garbanzo beans) is sure to be a hit in your home. Even if the idea of chickpea in brownies doesn’t sound right these are definitely worth a try!
Ingredients for Nutella Chickpea Brownies
This recipe is very simple and only takes a few minutes to put together. They are gluten free and can also be made vegan with a substitution for the nutella. For this recipe you will need:
- maple syrup
- coconut oil
- almond flour
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- baking powder
- chocolate chips
Also, a really good food processor or blender is needed to mash up the chickpeas and make the batter.
Substitutions and Modifications
- To make this recipe vegan or dairy free use a vegan chocolate nut spread. It doesn’t necessarily have to be chocolate hazelnut either. We have tried this recipe with chocolate almond butter and it was just a delicious. Be sure to read the label to make sure it doesn’t include dairy before using in the recipe. Also, be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips!
- Try white chocolate chips or nuts as a mix-in or topping in place of the regular chocolate chips.
- If you don’t have maple syrup on hand, honey or agave syrup will work as well.
What are Chickpea Brownies like?
If you haven’t had chickpea brownies before the texture is definitely different from regular brownies. While different, I promise you will not be dissapointed. This recipe has a chewy and gooey texture that all brownie lovers will enjoy.
Also, I have found that if you store them in the refrigerator they are much easier to cut and serve. The refrigerator will also help to keep them fresh longer… if you need to!
As if these Nutella Chickpea Brownies needed any more “brownie points” (I can’t help myself, I’m the queen of corny jokes in my house) they also freeze perfectly! Simply store in an airtight container and keep some for later!
Frequently Asked Questions
While I haven’t tested it if you can find a chocolate sunbutter that should absolutely work for this recipe as well in place of the nutella!
Store these brownies in the refrigerator in an airtight container if they will not be eaten within 1 day of baking. Or, to keep them fresh even longer, store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
If you love these Nutella Chickpea Brownies, be sure to check out these other dessert favorites: Black Moon Whoopie Pies, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Scones, Chocolate Pecan Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies, Homemade Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Hummus, Ricotta Cookies, No Bake Peanut Butter Balls, Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chickpea Blondies, Butter Cookie Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting and Chocolate Pecan Pie.
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup nutella
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8 x 8 pan with non-stick cooking spray. If desired line with parchment paper for extra easy removal.
- Combine chickpeas, nutella, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla in food processor. Blend until smooth. Scrape down sides as necessary.
- Add almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Blend until combined.
- Remove blade from food processor and stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with a few more chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean.
- Cool brownies before serving. Brownies should be stored in the refrigerator to maximize freshness.
Brownies can be frozen in an airtight container!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 70mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g