Tender shredded chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic and more make this One Pot Dairy-Free Chicken Tortilla Soup so flavorful, easy to make and perfect for a cold day! This recipe makes a large batch of soup and it gets better and better as it sits making it perfect for leftovers.
Ingredients in One Pot Dairy-Free Chicken Tortilla Soup
- olive oil
- red bell pepper
- chili powder
- crushed tomatoes
- black beans
- chicken or vegetable broth
Chicken Tortilla Soup Tips
This soup is so delicious leftover because the flavors continue to blend together. Make this soup on the weekend and take it for leftovers to work for lunch!
Want toppings on your soup? Try chopped cilantro, fresh avocado, tortilla strips, etc. If you aren’t dairy-free you can even try cheese (or use dairy-free cheese). Sour cream and tortilla chips are also great options (use dairy-free sour cream such as Follow Your Heart brand).
Short on time? Use leftover shredded chicken in place of the raw chicken! A great way to use up leftovers and a perfect way to make dinner faster.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Place in individual air tight containers and freeze for up to 2 months! When ready to use, defrost in the refrigerator overnight then heat on the stove in a pot to 165 degrees.
This soup is best used within 5 days of making it. To store longer see above for how to freeze this soup.
Yes! As always, be sure to check each ingredient but this recipe is gluten-free friendly!
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
Love soup like we do? Try our Healthy Vegan White Bean Stew, Delicious Italian Wedding Soup, One Pot Carrot Rice Soup, Homemade French Onion Soup, One Pot Italian Sausage and Pasta Soup, Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, Quick and Easy Hamburg Soup, One Pot Black Bean and Corn Soup, Turkey Lasagna Soup and Carrot Ginger Soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 20 oz crushed tomatoes, plain
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 16 oz broth, vegetable or chicken
- tortilla strips, for topping (optional)
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for topping (optional)
- Prepare all vegetables that need to be chopped: onion, bell pepper, garlic and cilantro. Drain and rinse black beans and drain corn.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add spices, raw chicken, tomatoes, black beans, corn and broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and keep covered to keep broth simmering gently. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from pot and shred chicken. Return shredded chicken to pot and stir to combine.
- Remove pot from heat and serve soup topped with tortilla strips and chopped cilantro.
Store remaining soup in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze soup, store in individual air tight containers and freeze. To defrost, leave in refrigerator overnight then transfer to a pot and heat to 165 degrees.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 1029mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 9gSugar: 12gProtein: 37g