Air fryers have become a must have appliance over the last few years and for good reason! They are easy to use, cook faster than a regular oven and allow for lots of shortcuts. This method for perfectly crispy air fryer frozen hash browns will make breakfast time even easier. These delicious hash brown patties will be ready in about 10 minutes and can be added as a side to other breakfast items.
Where to Buy Frozen Hash Browns
Frozen hash browns can be found in most grocery stores in the freezer section. They are usually with breakfast items or potato items. They can be found plain or already seasoned in some grocery stores as well. We personally love the hash brown patties we get from Trader Joes.
Can You Cook Hash Browns in Air Fryer
Yes and it is super simple. Follow our directions below for how to easily create crispy air fryer hash browns in no time at all. Cooking hash browns in the air fryer allows you to use little to no oil like you would in a frying pan. Also, the constantly circulating air gives you a crispy texture on all sides.
How to Cook Hash Browns From Frozen in Air Fryer
The best part about cooking hash browns in the air fryer is there is no need to thaw or defrost them first. Additionally, you don’t need any added oil and the clean up is minimal compared to cooking them in a frying pan on the stove top.
To cook hash browns in the air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Then, spray the air fryer with non-stick cooking spray and add the frozen hash brown patty or patties to the air fryer in a single layer. They must be cooked in one even layer so they can get crispy on all sides. Do not stack frozen hash browns in the air fryer. If you would like to season your hash browns this is the time. Most hash browns come already seasoned but feel free to add more.
Then, cook at 400 for 5-6 minutes. Flip the patties over and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved. The total cooking time should be about 10-12 minutes with turning them at the halfway point. Hashbrowns should be crispy and golden brown. Air fryer temperatures do vary so keep an eye on your first batch.
If you are making lots of hash browns, repeat the cooking process until all of the hash browns are cooked. To keep the cooked hash browns warm, store them in an oven that is set to 200 degrees. This will keep them warm while you continue to cook more.
See the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for more information and air fryer recommendations.
Why Use an Air Fryer to Cook Hash Browns
- There is no added oil. Traditionally when you cook hash browns on the stove top in a frying pan you need vegetable oil or canola oil to achieve the crispiness we associate with hash browns. Cooking in the air fryer eliminates the excess oil and keeps the stove from being covered with oil splatter. Also, there is no need to absorb the extra oil with paper towels after cooking.
- You don’t have to defrost or thaw the frozen patties for faster cooking time and quick breakfast. The air fryer cooks hash browns faster due to the constantly circulating air.
- The result is perfectly crispy hash browns every time that can be added to your other breakfast items like fried eggs or fresh fruit.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you purchase not seasoned hash browns or just want to kick up the flavor a little bit try cayenne pepper, garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika and more. We also like to serve hash browns with hot sauce or ketchup.
We do not recommend adding any oil to the air fryer for this recipe. The oil will heat up and splatter all over the inside of your air fryer which would damage the heating element. All you need is a little spray of non-stick cooking on the bottom of the air fryer basket to keep the hash browns from sticking.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
If you are looking for more easy breakfast recipe ideas check out our White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Scones, Strawberry Smoothie Bowl, Cinnamon Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake, Banana Scones, Cinnamon Toast Crunch French Toast and Million Dollar Bacon.
- frozen hash brown patties
- seasonings or sauces, if desired
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray and add the frozen hash brown patty or patties to the air fryer in a single layer. (They must be cooked in one even layer so they can get crispy on all sides. Do not stack frozen hash browns in the air fryer.)
- If you would like to season your hash browns this is the time.
- Cook at 400 for 5-6 minutes. Flip the patties over and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved. The total cooking time should be about 10-12 minutes with turning them at the halfway point. Hash browns should be crispy and golden brown. Air fryer temperatures do vary so keep an eye on the first batch.
- To make another batch, repeat the cooking process again. Store cooked hash browns in the oven at 200 degrees to keep them hot.
Try adding cayenne pepper, garlic salt, paprika, etc before cooking if you desire more flavor in your hash browns.
If desired, serve with hot sauce or ketchup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 581mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g