This recipe for Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting could not be more simple! It makes one dozen cupcakes, but can easily be doubled to make two dozen. The kids even enjoyed the cupcakes without the frosting.
These cupcakes are great for any fall party or as an addition to your Thanksgiving dessert spread. And, I put a little spin on them by using whole wheat flour… I say that makes them “healthier” cupcakes! I did not test the recipe with any other type of flour however if you give it a try please let me know how it comes out!
How to make Pumpkin Cupcakes
The pumpkin cupcakes can be mixed in one bowl! The ingredients you will need are:
- Butter, melted
- Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Baking Soda
To make the cupcakes, melt the butter. Then, stir in the eggs and pumpkin. Finally, add in the remaining ingredients. Divide into 12 muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool before frosting!
How to make Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
Once your frosting is made and your cupcakes are cool top with as much frosting as you desire and then be sure to keep the cupcakes stored in the refrigerator so the cream cheese does not go bad!
Pin this image for Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting for later:
Want more dessert recipes? Here are a few to take a peek at: Peanut Butter Reese’s Pieces Cookies, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chickpea Blondies, Nutella Chickpea Brownies, Apple Crisp, Butter Cookie Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting, Italian Cookies, Cream Cheese Logs, Chocolate Pecan Pie and Apple Pie.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
For the cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 can pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter with the eggs and pumpkin. Whisk to combine well.
- Add sugar, flour, baking soda and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Divide batter into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool before frosting!
- To make frosting, combine softened cream cheese with powdered sugar and milk. Mix with a hand or stand mixer until creamy.
- Once cupcakes are cool top with frosting.
- Store cupcakes in the refrigerator.
Recipe can be doubled to make 24 cupcakes!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g