This Sausage Casserole is pretty fast to put together and it’s delicious. Plus, it makes great leftovers. It combines sausage, pasta, peppers and onions… what more could you ask for? This is one of our family’s favorite recipes and something my mother in law has been making for years!
How to make Sausage Casserole
To start, chop your peppers and onion. Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is warm add the peppers, onion and sausage. Cook until sausage is browned and broken up. I prefer to use an Italian sausage however, any kind will do. If you like some heat, definitely try it with spicy sausage!
While that is cooking, cook your pasta according to the package. Once your sausage mixture is ready add that and the sauce to your pasta. Stir to combine and coat pasta.
Pour into a 9 x 13 dish or casserole dish that has been sprayed with pan spray.
Last, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve your Sausage Casserole with cheese (optional) and enjoy! We love to serve this with warm bread as well!
For behind the scenes looks at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
If you enjoy this recipe, we recommend you check out: Chili Mac and Cheese, Italian Sausage Orzo, Lemon Butter Shrimp and Pasta, Spinach Lasagna, Sausage Stuffing, Garlic Broccoli Lo Mein, Simple Mediterranean Orzo Salad, Crock Pot Pasta Sauce, Buttermilk Biscuits, Cheddar Cheese Grits with Black Beans, Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce, Three Cheese Stuffed Shells and Homemade Meat Sauce!
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 16 oz pasta sauce (I prefer the sausage or red pepper flavored ones for this recipe)
- Parmesan cheese for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop peppers and onion.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add peppers, onion and sausage. Cook until sausage is browned and broken up.
- While the sausage is cooking, cook pasta in a separate pot according to package directions.
- Once pasta and sausage are cooked, combine together and add the sauce. Stir to coat the pasta.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking dish or casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with cheese (optional) and enjoy!
Perfect for a party or when serving a crowd.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/8 pan
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 773mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 12g
This post was originally published December 17, 2018 and was updated on April 8, 2020.