Sour Cream Coffee Cake is the perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch spread. It is moist with a layer of cinnamon and sugar right in the middle! Top with powdered sugar and fill the middle of the bundt cake with fresh berries for an easy and beautiful presentation.
How to Make Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This recipe is very simple to make but it will look like you spent a lot of time in the kitchen! You will need a hand mixer or stand mixer as well as a bundt pan for this recipe. Before starting to prep the cake batter, grease the bundt pan thoroughly with non-stick spray or butter to ensure the cake comes out easily.
To make the cake batter, first cream together the sugar and softened butter until light and fluffy. Then, add eggs and mix to combine well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream and mix well between each addition.
Once batter is complete, mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the filling. Add half of the batter to the pan for half of the cake, then add the cinnamon sugar mixture and finally the rest of the cake batter and spread it evenly.
Bake coffee cake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake to avoid drying out the cake. Let cool for about 20 minutes and then remove from the pan by flipping it over. Let cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar and if desired add fresh berries to the middle!
How to store coffee cake
This coffee cake will be the best the day of baking and the day after. With no preservatives it will not keep its freshness for a week. This cake be stored in an airtight container or it can be frozen after baking and before adding the powdered sugar.
Do you love breakfast as much as we do? If you enjoyed this Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe be sure to check out our Strawberry Smoothie Bowl, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Scones, Bacon and Cheese Quiche, Dark Chocolate Walnut Biscotti, Strawberry Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins, Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal, French Toast Casserole, Apple Cinnamon Muffins, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Very Berry Blueberry Muffins, and Peanut Butter Honey Muffins.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp sugar, for filling
- 1 tbsp cinnamon, for filling
- Powdered sugar and fresh berries, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease bundt pan and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and mix until smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda and baking powder alternately with sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar for the filling.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the bundt pan. Top with cinnamon sugar mixture and pour remaining batter on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
- Let cool and remove from bundt pan.
- If desired, for a pretty presentation, top with powdered sugar by sifting it on top and fill the center with fresh berries.
Store Sour Cream Coffee Cake in an airtight container to keep fresh.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1/12 cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g