This Stuffed Pepper Casserole with Beef and Mushrooms is an easy, hearty and comforting meal. Loaded with peppers, beef, rice, onions, mushrooms, garlic and sauce this meal is sure to be a family favorite. Stuffed Peppers are such a perfect comfort food and this recipe takes all those flavors and rolls them up into a casserole dish.
Ingredients for Stuffed Pepper Casserole
This recipe require 12 ingredients, however many of them are pantry staples. You will need:
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Onion, yellow or sweet
- Ground beef (this can also be made with ground chicken, turkey, pork, etc.)
- Bell peppers- we used 2 red bell peppers and 2 green bell peppers
- Italian Seasoning
- Pasta Sauce
- Parmesan Cheese
Chef’s Tip: Cook rice in beef broth (chicken or vegetable broth) to give more depth to your dishes.
How to Make Stuffed Pepper Casserole
To start, wash and chop up the onion, peppers, mushrooms and garlic. Then, preheat the oven to 30 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Once hot, add onion, peppers, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 8 minutes or until softened.
Next, add beef and seasonings. Break up beef into small pieces while it cooks. Cook until browned. Remove from the heat and drain out any excess liquid. Stir in cooked rice and 1 cup of pasta sauce.
Check out our new wooden cooking utensils gifted from Forest Decor! They are made from sustainably sourced forest and olive wood. I know these will last in my kitchen for years and years.
Pour mixture into greased casserole dish. Spread 1/2 cup of pasta sauce over the top. Sprinkle evenly with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until it is bubbling and cheese is browned on top. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
No! Feel free to use any ground meat you prefer such as chicken, turkey or pork.
Yes, this casserole can be made ahead of time and then put in the refrigerator for a day or two before baking. Be sure to cover it tightly. I have not experimented with freezing it however, I’m sure it would freeze well either before or after baking.
Yes, cut the recipe in half and bake it in an 8×8 pan.
Yes! Go ahead and use any kind of rice you like, such as brown rice or even cauliflower rice! If you use cauliflower rice be sure to drain it very well after cooking since it has a high water content.
For a behind the scenes look at Return to the Kitchen, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and Pinterest! Also, if you make this recipe or any of our recipes be sure to tag us @returntothekitchen!
Did you enjoy this recipe for Stuffed Pepper Casserole? Try our Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole, Shepherd’s Pie, Sausage Casserole, Three Cheese Stuffed Shells, Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Lasagna, Breakfast Quinoa Egg Casserole, Spinach Lasagna and Chicken Pot Pie. For more stuffed pepper ideas check out our Turkey Stuffed Peppers and Beef and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 4 bell peppers, chopped (we used 2 red and 2 green)
- 16 oz mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- Wash and chop the onion, peppers, mushrooms and garlic.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic and cook for 8 minutes until softened.
- Add beef and seasoning. Break up beef to small pieces and cook until browned.
- Remove from heat and drain out any excess liquid. Stir in cooked rice and 1 cup of pasta sauce.
- Pour mixture into greased casserole dish. Spread 1/2 cup of pasta sauce over the top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until it is bubbling and cheese is browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
This casserole can be made a day or two ahead of time. Cover and refrigerate, then bake when ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/8th casserole
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 701mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 29g